Hi, Andrey Mir is here. I am a media ecologist with a background in journalism.
My latest book, Postjournalism and the death of newspapers. The media after Trump: manufacturing anger and polarization (2020), explores the political-economic roots of post-truth and polarization in the news media. It is on Amazon:
My book Human as media. The emancipation of authorship (2014) received some kind words from Douglas Rushkoff, Robert Logan, Martin Gurri and other prominent thinkers. Also available on Amazon:
I worked as an editor in the business press in the 1990-2000s, then wrote the book “When newspapers die” (2010, in Russian) and left the sport. Since then, I have specialized as a media researcher and consultant. I am a Fulbright-Kennan scholar (Wilson Center in Washington, DC, 2012-13), a member of the Media Ecology Association and so on and so forth. Currently, I study and teach communication and culture at York University, Toronto, with a focus on media ecology, new media and fake news. My first dissertation, in journalism and linguistics, focused on the semantics of the Soviet media and propaganda (1996). My books, talks and publications cover a range of topics related to media in the areas of linguistics, politics, PR, corporate communication, journalism, transhumanism and the Singularity.
This blog is about old and new media and the future of humankind.
Find me on Facebook; on Twitter – @Andrey4Mir.
Here are some reviews of my books and my media appearances:
- It’s not Big Brother I fear but Huxley’s brave new world of mindless trivia. We’ve never had so much information at our fingertips — and so little wisdom to do anything useful with it. The Sunday Times. Matthew Syed, February 12, 2023.
- How the news business’s economics altered the news itself. Essayist Andrey Mir says media in a “post-journalism” world supply not news but “news validation.” The Washington Post. George F. Will, August 2, 2022.
- L’altro processo ai giornali. Il Foglio, Franco Debenedetti, Ottobre 23, 2021.
- Listening to a Herald of Doom. Liberty, Bruce Ramsey, September 1, 2021.
- Андрей Мирошниченко: «Редакционная политика, а не новости, — это и есть последний товар СМИ». Journalist, Всеволод Пуля, Сентябрь 2021.
- Things fall apart: why journalism might not survive what’s coming next. The Spinoff, Danyl Mclauchlan, August 21, 2021.
- The Press Now Depends on Readers for Revenue and That’s a Big Problem for Journalism. Discourse, Andrey Mir, July 28, 2021.
- How Economics Drives News Media. Andrey Mir’s Postjournalism offers a powerful, sweeping narrative of how news media have evolved over the centuries. EconLib, Arnold Kling, July 5, 2021.
- Чи можлива справжня журналістика в епоху повсюдної поляризації. В чому дослідник медіа Андрєй Мір бачить причину занепаду журналістики та що робити, аби не дозволити медіа та соцмережам поляризувати суспільство ще більше. Detector, Антон Процюк, 1 Липня 2021.
- Amerikanske medier tjente kassen på at dyrke Trump-hadet. Nu kommer problemerne. Politiken, Jens Lenler, May 16, 2021.
- Media Narratives and the Minds of the Masses. Pairagraph, May 10, 2021.
- “Post-Journalism” and the Death of News.Elites have lost control of the information agenda and, despite the “Trump bump,” they’re not getting it back. Discourse, Martin Gurri, April 13, 2021.
- Factoids and Fake News. Martin Gurri interviews Andrey Mir about the future of journalism. Discourse, April 13, 2021.
- How to live with polarisation. New Money Review, Paul Amery, March 19, 2021.
- Có hay không – “hậu báo chí”? Thế giới không phẳng. TTCT – Hết “hậu sự thật” (Post truth) nay người ta đang nói về “hậu báo chí” (Postjournalism). Nguyễn Vạn Phú, March 11, 2021.
- How both old and new media polarise society for profit (or survival). Why polarisation is a media effect and what we can do
about it. IPPR Progressive Review, Andrey Mir, Spring 2021.
- How to Understand the Rage Economy. In “Postjournalism,” media ecologist Andrey Mir analyzes the way the news economy shapes our perceptions of reality. The Intercept, Murtaza Hussain, February 13, 2021.
- Slouching Toward Post-Journalism. City Journal, Martin Gurri, Winter 2021.
- How the world caught up with media visionary Marshall McLuhan. Post magazine, the South China Morning Post, Mike Hodgkinson, January 23, 2021.
- Without Notice, Putin Dissolves a News Agency. The New York Times, Steven Lee Myers, December 9, 2013.
- Russian bloggers force mainstream media climbdown. BBC, Stephen Ennis, 16 March 2014.
Anatomy of Putin’s divorce announcement. BBC, Stephen Ennis, June 17, 2013
- Russian elections: ‘decisive role’ claimed for web activists. BBC, Stephen Ennis, December 6, 2011.
Russian bloggers force mainstream media climbdown. BBC, Stephen Ennis, March 16, 2011.
- How Russia Is Censoring Reporting On Sochi Olympics Controversies. Huffington Post, Michael Calderone, January 28, 2014.
- Russian Sky Explosion Maximum Power. The Awl, Ryan Bradley, January 3, 2014.
And finally, here is my photo album with some memorable events and encounters.
Leave a Reply